Thursday 10 July 2008

Spirit of ''Merantau'' within Singaporean Baweanese

(Life as a traveller living in tents at the valley of Mina during Haj 2005)

The Spirit of 'Merantau' is always alive within most Baweanese descent living in Singapore. Many of the Singaporean Baweanese that I met, either work or had worked before for shipping or airline companies that provided them with the opportunity to travel while at the same time earning income to support themselves and their family.


(Life in Disneyland Toon Town - Spring 1995)

Most of my relatives have 'work to travel' attitude. The spirit of 'Merantau' is always within them. They either work in shipping or airline companies or in any other industries that provide them with the opportunity to travel. They hold positions such as Officer, Steward, Stewardess, Aircraft Cleaner, Airline Caterer, Cooks and others.


(At the backyard of the Blue Mosque - Turkey Tour 1996)
 
One of my cousins had previously worked for Singapore national shipping line as a Cadet Officer on board container vessels. He had travelled across the seven seas, travelling as far as Europe. Finally, he settled down in Australia and became an Australian citizen.
 

(My Australian nephew and nieces)
 
Like my cousin, I am a typical Baweanese descent who is always seeking for opportunities to travel, while at the same time earning an honest income for myself and family. I love and enjoy travelling, experience overseas life and at the same time happy to learn the culture of other nationalities.
 

(Making friends with Turkish Muslims in Anatolia region during Turkey Tour in 1996)
 
In my twenties, I chose to work for Singapore's national shipping line (Neptune Orient Lines)as an Administrator. This is because at that time, the company provided the opportunity for its administration staffs to travel once in every two years on board its cargo vessels as the guest of the Captain, sailing around the globe.

(The Subterranean City of Kaymakli in Turkey - home of the early Turkish Christians)
 
In my thirties, I chose to work for Singapore's national airline (Singapore Airline) in Finance Department. This is because the firm provides the opportunity for its employees to travel yearly with their family on board its airplane to any destination it flies to, for holiday. With the free airline tickets, I had travelled to big cities such as Paris, London, San Diego, Los Angeles and many more.
 

 (The Big Ben -London Winter 1994)


(The Wave Rock -Perth Winter 1999)
 

(Versailles - Paris Winter 1994)
 
Now I am in my forties and the spirit of 'Merantau' is still alive in me. I chose to leave the workforce to accompany my husband to any destinations his job required him to be. An engineer by profession, he is always working overseas in foreign countries.
 

(The sandy coastal beach of Dukhan - Qatar Winter 2006)
 
The spirit of 'Merantau' continues to flow into the veins of my three children. My youngest child is always looking forward for the next holiday adventure, while my oldest two children are eager to study overseas. My family and I are always in search of adventures away from homeland, to experience a different kind of environment from the one we had gone through in Singapore.
 

(Spring water at Pamukkale, the Cotton castle - Turkey Winter 1996)

It is due to the spirit of 'Merantau' within my forefathers that I was fated to be born in Singapore and to receive good education. To generate quality life, I utilized the knowledge that I received to earn a decent living. Imagine if my ancestors were to stay put in Bawean Island, I will not be here to share my adventures and knowledge with the world, especially to my people in Bawean or in any other parts of the world.
 

(My Malaysian relatives)
 
To all Baweanese descent around the globe, we should be proud of our brave forefathers who took the initiatives to travel abroad in search of opportunities that resulted of us to have good education, leading quality lives. As progressive people, it is now time for us to contribute, doing our part for Bawean by promoting ourselves as responsible individual Baweanese so as to project a prominent race with fine qualities. In whatever we do and wherever we are, never ever forget our roots and heritage. Always remember, we are the descendants of ''The Children of Bawean''.

No comments: