Friday 11 July 2008

The Concept of ''Merantau'' in Haj

(Masjidil Haram - Makkah Haj 2005)

''Haj'' is an Arabic word that literally means, ''to set for a place''. Similarly in ''Merantau'' a person sets himself for a journey to far away place outside his homeland. It is no doubt that the culture of ''Merantau'' that strives actively within the lives of many Baweanese can be seen clearly during the performance of Haj, one of the pillar of Islam. Hence, the Baweanese culture of ''Merantau'' can be said is in-line with the teaching of Islam since through Haj pilgrimage, Islam teaches Muslims to set foot outside their hometown to experience life in foreign land.


(The Ka'bah)

In Islam, ''Haj'' means to set out for Makkah in a state of Ihram, during the months of Haj (Syawal, Zulkaedah, Zulhijjah) with the intention to perform certain religious rites in accordance with the method taught by Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing be upon him). While the spirit of ''Merantau'' within the Bawean Islanders spurs their heart to leave their homeland to travel abroad, exploring the world in search of opportunities, adventures and knowledge simultaneously, learning about life outside the tiny island, Haj on the other hand is a requirement in Islam for those who can afford to perform it.
 

(At Arafah - Haj 2005)

I performed Haj with my husband and my youngest child in January 2005. The experience made me realized that Islam does not want its followers to stay put in one place for the rest of their lives. Islam wants Muslims to be brave to travel abroad, seeking knowledge and continue to be progressive, learning about each other lives among the Muslims from different parts of the world. Simultaneously, Haj provides them with the opportunity to experience a different kind of environment from their birth place. It also provides them the opportunity to understand about life in this world.
 

(The aftermath of the big flood in Mina)

The big flood in Mina was my greatest memory during the Haj pilgrimage. It made me realized that life is short and death can be just around the corner. Almighty Allah commanded the heavy rain to flood the area, at the same time, kept me and my family in safety. To me, it was a test of faith. My trust in Allah, the Most High, was tested in a time of difficulty, where my unrelenting faith was rewarded with easy stoning of the three Jamrah.
 

(The Jamrah - 'Jamrah' means 'Pillar')

I remember my family doctor advising me not to worry about being trapped in massive pool of water in the sandy sand of the Arabian desert as the place was located far from coast. It was very ironic how I had expressed my worries of natural disasters. I thought anything could happen. Indeed if Allah, the All-Wise, wants it to be, it will be, because nothing escapes Almighty Allah’s will and everything is possible except Allah the Most High. From the incident, I was able to see the significance and beauty of Haj.


(At the rear of the photo is the area to perform the stoning of Jamrah)

Likewise, through ''Merantau'', Baweanese became matured in thinking, knowledgeable and broad-minded, Haj is ordained in Islam for Muslims to be wise especially in making choices. It helps to develop intelligent individual Muslims, one who is able to handle issues and daily dealings wisely. Haj also makes Muslims think and ponder about life in this world and universe. It teaches and trains Muslims to live and survive on this earth. While the Qur'an teaches about Islam in theory, Haj is the practical lesson to practice this great faith.
 

(Cave Hira at Jabal Nur - the place where the first revelation of the Qur'an took place. It was in this small dark cave that the light of Islam started to glow, lighting-up the world)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha, I am going to test my thought, your post bring me some good ideas, it's truly amazing, thanks.

- Murk