Friday 2 May 2008

My Uncle, The Guru Ngaji

Ahmad Bohari Bin Ali with his two sons and a niece - Eid 2000

Ahmad Bohari is my other uncle who played football during his teenage life. However unlike uncle Ahmad Sayuti, he played for a very brief period of time as he was not selected to be in the youth national team.

As his niece, I address uncle Bohari as 'Mamang' because he is the younger brother of my mother. 'Mamang' is a Baweanese words which means 'younger uncle'. Uncle Bohari is two years older than Uncle Sayuti. He is the one who resemble my late maternal grandfather. He has the most of my grandfather's appearance. Like my mother, he has a remarkable voice that enable him to read the Qur'aan with a rhythmic-like recitation which is soothing to the ears. During his free time, he teaches children to recite the Qur'aan thus, becoming a Guru Ngaji whenever he is not at work at the laundry servicing company. Generally, the Baweanese are good at reciting the Qur'aan.

Uncle Bohari is married with four children -three boys and a girl. The oldest child, Yan, will be completing National Service (NS) very soon and is looking forward to continue his studies at the University. Yan, is one of my favourite cousins. He has good manners and indeed he is a remarkable, distinguish young individual. He brought much pride and joy to the family with his successful academic achievements. Yan reminds me of my late grandfather as he inherited most of my grandfather's fine qualities of a charismatic gentleman.

No comments: