Thursday 1 May 2008

Aunt Suaidah's family -The last to leave Pondok Kalompang Gubuk

At the main entrance of Pondok Kalompang Gubuk -Photo taken in 1996.

35 Upper Weld Road left me with fond memories of my childhood. It was my home for twelve years. I was in primary six when my family moved out from pondok to live in our new HDB home at Kallang Bahru. It was December 1974. However, I always returned to my pondok to visit my maternal grandparents, uncles and aunties. I adore them very much. Back then, only one of my two aunties was married with young children. Her name is Suaidah, the younger sister of my mother. During those days I enjoyed very much visiting the pondok as I found joy in baby-sitting my little cousins, Anam, Fauzi and Nur. Of the three, Anam was my favourite.

Little Anam with my mother - Isn't he adorable? -Photo taken in the early 80s.

I address Aunt Suaidah as Cik Ende. When I was ten years old, I used to help her to baby-sit baby Anam while she was busy doing her house chores. When I was in my teens I used to bring little Anam to the movies. I remember the time when we were watching Jaws at Rex Cinema. I found him sobbing at the end of the movie. He told me he was sad to see the lady was eaten alive by the shark. Anam was then, only six years old.

An interior area of the pondok, leading to the Kitchen. The door at the rear opens up to the kitchen - Photo taken in 1996


Gradually, one by one the residents of Pondok Kalompang Gubuk moved out to live in HDB flats. Aunt Suaidah's family was the last family to leave the pondok. It was time to do so for the date to leave was due. Back then, her three children were still schooling. Anam was in Polytechnic, Fauzi was in college and Nur was in secondary school. It was a very difficult period for Aunt Suaidah and finding a new home was not easy. Nevertheless she found a rented unit at Eunos to live in. Today, my aunt is a proud HDB home-owner. She is all smiling as her children are now young professionals holding rewarding jobs.

At the living Room which is the front most part of the Pondok Kalompang Gubuk -Photo taken in 1996

No comments: