Wednesday 6 February 2008

My Maternal Grandparents

Life in a distant land away from the village atmosphere of Bawean was not easy for my maternal grandparents. Together they faced the roller coaster of life against all odds during the British Colony in the Malay Peninsula. They also experienced the terror of the Japanese occupation in Malaya, witnessed Malaysia's independence, the separation of Singapore from Malaysia, the racial riot in 1964 and finally Singapore's independence on 9th Aug 1965.
 
My maternal grandmother was doing her marketing at the old Tekka market of the 70s. Her image was captured by a photographer for the 'Singapore this Week' magazine.
 
Even though my maternal grandparents' marriage was arranged, they had a wonderful life together. According to my grandmother, my grandfather was a responsible husband and a loving father. He was a pious man who disciplined his children well. On the other hand, according to my grandfather, my grandmother was a kind and patience mother. It was a happy marriage and they were blessed with eight children. The oldest child was born in Ipoh, the second, third, fourth and fifth in Johor Bahru while the last three were born in Singapore.
  My maternal Grandfather, Hj.Siddik bin Ismail, also known as Hj. Ali - in his sixties.

In Singapore, my grandparents lived in Pondok Kalompang Gubuk at 35 Upper Weld Road. My maternal grandfather was well respected for his honesty, trustworthiness, kindness, sincerity, and bravery. He had a remarkable outstanding personality and was born a leader. Due to these qualities in him, he was elected by the residents in Kalompang Gubuk to be the Pak Lurah, the Head of the Pondok.
 
My Grandmother, Hjh Ramlah Binte Morsidi -a young grandmother.
 
My maternal grandparents grew old together gracefully. My grandfather passed away on 5th November 1981 at the age of 75, while my grandmother passed away on 1st December 1986 at 70 years old. They never returned to Bawean after they first left the island.

No comments: