Monday 4 February 2008

My Heritage

Baby Endah

I was born in Singapore in December 1962 to a Boyanese (Baweanese) family. Hence, I am a Singaporean by nationality and a Boyanese by race. My father was born in Bawean, an island situated in Java Sea. In 1942, he and his two older sisters were brought to Singapore by their parents. He was then about two years old.

My father (on the right) at 15 years old

On the other hand, my mother, a Boyanese descent like me, was born in Johor Bahru on 29th July 1943. Her family migrated to Singapore in the early 1950s when she was about eight years old. Her ancestors were among the early Boyanese settlers at Sungai Rokam in Ipoh, Perak.

My mother in her teens

During the British Colonial days, my parents lived in Pondok Kalompang Gubuk at 35 Upper Weld Road. They grew up in the same vicinity and were friends during childhood. Their ancestors were from the same village (Kalompang Gubuk) in Bawean.
My beloved parents

My parents were teenagers when they got married. They had a wonderful marriage life and were blessed with six children. I was born second. In my eyes, their marriage was heavenly sent and they were meant for each other.

My siblings and I (second) - we were once orphans

My childhood was beautiful unlike my younger siblings. They were less fortunate than me. The happiness enjoyed by my family back then, did not last long. My father gone to soon at the age of forty-two. In split seconds my teenage life became a nightmare. Suddenly, I became an orphan and the journey to my adulthood was a scary, bumpy ride.

My mum as a young widow doing tailoring work to earn some income

My father passed away on 6th February 1982 in Jakarta. Till this day, my mother is still a widow and has no intention to find another to replace him. My Bapak was her only true love.

No comments: