Friday 6 March 2009

Roti Boyan - The Baweanese Bread

The original "Roti Boyan" filled with mashed potatoes served with "Sambel Bilis"

A Baweanese is always a Baweanese no matter how the individual Baweanese progresses in life, moving away from the pondok lifestyle, becoming very different from those of his or her forefathers who came from the remote tiny island of Bawean to Singapore. Today, in cosmopolitan Singapore, a Baweanese descent like me is constantly exposed to many cultures and traditions, enjoying different kinds of food and flavours, yet still ended up getting attached to the Baweanese culture, especially the Baweanese food. I am always yearning for them, the Baweanese authentic dishes that the pioneer Baweanese people of Singapore, like my late grandmothers, grand aunties and mother-in-law used to cook.
 
The other side of the original "Roti Boyan" with potatoes fillings

Even though I had travelled far and wide, experienced variety of dishes from many different countries, I still love having "Roti Boyan", the Baweanese bread, for breakfast or afternoon tea. Although I have been living in Singapore most of my early life, mixing with other Singaporeans of different races and cultures, enjoying their food such as the Thai Tom Yam, the Chinese Noodle, the Indian Prata, the Italian Pizza, the Middle Eastern Kebab, the Hainanese Chicken Rice, the Western Hamburgers and many others, I still look around for the Baweanese bread. Even my children, who have very little exposure to the Baweanese food, enjoy eating "Roti Boyan". They showed thumb-up  and asked for more when I first introduced it to them.

"Roti Boyan" that similar to the Indian Prata

There are two types of Baweanese bread. One is similar to the Indian Prata and the other is filled with mashed potatoes. During my childhood, I used to have "Roti Boyan" for breakfast and sometimes during teatime. My favourite "Roti Boyan" is the one with mashed potatoes fillings. My late maternal grandmother was an expert in making it!

"Sambel Bilis"

In making the dough for "Roti Boyan", my grandmother normally used ghee mixed with warm water and salt before pouring the flour. I used to help her around with the boiling of potatoes, peeling the skin, mashing them in a bowl, adding a little salt, pepper, chopped celery, and eggs, mixing them into a perfect filling. Then I would help her with the lighting up of fire on the stove. At that time, during the 1970s the pondok people were still using kerosene stove for cooking. When the fire was burning right, it was time to put the wok on the stove and filled it with cooking oil. My grandma would prepare the bread to pan fry in the heated wok. This bread is usually eaten with the Baweanese "Sambel Bilis" - Chilli Anchovy.

The "Roti Boyan" that similar to Indian Prata with fried egg on it

Making the other type of Baweanese bread is simpler than the previous. The method of making the dough is the same as the first one. The dough is rolled on a pin several times, greasing it with oil before rolling it multiple times. When done, it is time to pan fry it on a heated wok. Then beaten egg with sliced onion is poured onto the bread. This bread is usually eaten with the Baweanese "Sambel Bilis" or "Sambel Tomes Tongkol" or "Semur Tongkol". Yummy!
 
"Semur Tongkol"

Today, "Roti Boyan" is eaten not only by the Baweanese people but also others from different ethnic groups living in the Singapore Malay community. The favourite is the one filled with mashed potatoes. It became popular with a different look!
 
The new look of "Roti Boyan" with potatoes fillings

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waaahh! Another great post on our Baweanese food. Your Roti Boyan is exactly how my mom always make. My Malay neighbours and nephews too gave a thumbs up for my mom's roti boyan. Looks like the older folks are very proficient at making them. Haa...haa..just two days ago I ate the Semur Tongkol. - Hamzah, Punggol.

Anonymous said...

hi! it's been years since i ate the mashed potato-filled roti Boyan and i miss it so much!! is there a possibility of a recipe soon? ;))

EndahVision said...

Thank you for your comment Hamzah.

I love eating the authentic Semur Tongkol so much that I went over to Johor just to learn cooking this dish from my dear aunt who had acquired the art of cooking, the Baweanese style, from my late Grandma. Hmmm...What can I say? We are indeed true Singaporean Boyanese!...our taste bud have not change even though our lifestyles did - living in Cosmopolitan Singapore in high rise apartments instead of our humble Pondok homes!

EndahVision said...

Thank Mi for visiting my blog.

Maybe in future I will include the recipe for Roti Boyan. :)

EndahVision said...

For those who are interested in making Roti Boyan, below is a link that provides the recipe. Enjoy!

http://rozzan.blogspot.com/2007/05/roti-boyan-bawean.html