Sunday 3 August 2008

My Lineage I ; My Paternal Great-Grandparents

(My dad and I)

The first time I learnt about my lineage was after my Primary Four year-end examinations. I was then, about ten years old. My father was commenting on my examination results as he signed my report book. He advised me to continue with the good efforts that I had put in. My father had huge hope on me. He wanted me to pave my way towards tertiary education. He said that I could achieve easily for better results in school examinations and be a degree holder in the future.

(Me and my sisters when I was ten years old)

Back then, my father had the idea, those with mix race parentage lineage were generally intelligent. He told me that his mother was from a family with mix heritage and he believed that his children should be among the intelligent ones. From that day onwards, I started to investigate on my lineage by asking around about my paternal ancestors' background. Other than my parents, I approached my paternal aunties and grand-aunties, as well as my maternal grand-father.

(My parents)
 
I assume that the mix heritage in the family of my paternal grand-mother started probably between the late years of 1800 and early 1900. The two older sisters of my father told me that their maternal grand-father's name was Maksar and their maternal grand-mother's Muslim name was Aminah. According to them, like many other young Baweanese men at that time, great-grandpa Maksar had travelled far and wide across the oceans on big vessels. The spirit of ''merantau'' was strongly within him. He travelled for many years and finally when he decided to settle down, he brought back home from his last trip, a Japanese wife.
 

(Map of Bawean Island)

According to my two aunties, great-grandma Aminah left her family and homeland, leaving her Japanese culture for a new one in a brand new home in Bawean Island. She embraced Islam and practiced the Islamic Baweanese way of life. It was amazing that a Japanese woman like my ancestor was able to adapt very well, the simple village life-style of the Bawean people, living in a very remote island situated in the middle of the sea.
 

(Bawean Island on Atlas)

My great-grandma splendidly blended in into the Baweanese society and adopted the Baweanese culture. She gave birth to three beautiful daughters who grew-up marrying the local Baweanese. Great-grandma Aminah had a blissful life with beautiful family in Bawean Island. Together with great-grandpa Maksar; she grew old gracefully in a wonderful marriage... so I was told. 

No comments: