Saturday 14 June 2008

In Memory of Ustaz Hj. Arshad Bin Nor


Ustaz Hj. Arshad was the son of my maternal grandfather's cousin. He was born and raised in Bawean. He migrated to Singapore during the British Colony in the 1950s. My maternal grandfather was his closest Uncle, the only next-of-kin living in Singapore. He was in the care of my grandparents until the day he got married.

Obek Arshad, as I used to call him, was a learned person in the field of Islamic Studies. He used to work in the Prison as a religious teacher to the in-mates. He also used to bring pilgrims to Makkah for Ummrah and Hajj.

During his employment period with the Queenstown Prison, Obek Arshad lived at the Prison Workers Living Quarters. I used to go there with my parents to visit him. Every time my parents told me that we were going to Obek Arshad's home, I felt excited. My heart jolted with joy and eager to meet his family. I was always looking forward to play with his children while the adults were having conversations.

Obek Arshad was a very cheerful man, full of smiling expressions on his face. I remembered him as a warm, kind hearted person. He was always happy to welcome members from his uncle's family and made the stay an enjoyable one. I enjoyed very much listening to his interesting ghost stories that he told to keep the little ones entertained. His advise not to fear the dark nor the lurking-places of Unseen Beings remain etched in my mind till this day. Instead, he would say to always fear Almighty Allah and not to miss the daily sholat (to pray five times a day) so as to chase the Satan away.

I always remember Obek Arshad as an Ustaz with a gifted voice. It was a stern and firm voice especially good for reciting the Qur'aan. His passion to continuously seeking Islamic knowledge could be seen from his library of Islamic books displayed on his book shelves. His career as a religious teacher had inspired me to pursue my studies in Islamic Knowledge at tertiary level. Obek Arshad is always in my memory as an Uncle whom I think highly off and regard him with the utmost respect.

My Obek, Ustaz Hj. Arshad, passed away a few days ago, on Monday, 9th June 2008 at about 4.00 p.m. and was buried the next day. He left behind a widow, two sons, three daughters and several grand-children. Truly, I am remorseful for not able to bid him farewell on his death-bed, and I send my deepest condolences to his widow and children. Indeed his family has lost a good husband and father. I have lost an Uncle and Singaporeans of Baweanese descent have lost one of its pioneer educators who had contributed in shaping good Muslim individuals. For all the many good things that he had done, may Almighty Allah’s blessings be upon him. May his soul be placed among those favoured by Almighty Allah. May Almighty Allah grant peace to Obek Arshad's soul in the world of Barzakh. Aameen.

Indeed we are here on this earth temporarily. When it is time to leave this world, the soul has to leave the body and the dead body has to be buried six feet underneath the ground. Thus, from clay the human body was made off and to clay shall it be returned…..

No comments: